Whether or not you already have a will, the easiest way to include a gift in your will is to get help from a professional advisor experienced in preparing wills. Here are a few steps to consider when getting started.
1. Choose a charity
Think about the organization or cause you would most like to support. If you need more information about a particular organization, contact them directly. They can help you better understand what they do and what your donation will support.
2. Talk to your family
Make sure that your family members are aware of your intentions so they can support the achievement of your charitable goals.
3. Consult a professional advisor
Consult a trusted advisor to get the right expertise and advice. An advisor can explain your giving options and help you choose the gift that is right for you.
Why leave a legacy?
- You have the use of your assets during your lifetime.
- You can ensure that your gift is meaningful to you.
- Your estate will receive a beneficial tax receipt.
- Your gift can be altered at any time should your circumstances change.